Pedestrian Hit by Truck at Logan Intersection

A 34 year old man was struck by a white Ford Truck in a Logan intersection earlier this week. Witnesses reported the man was crossing 400 North at 200 East in a crosswalk when a truck going North on 200 East started to make a left turn to go west. Allegedly, the driver of the truck failed to see the man and hit him, according to the news release from the Logan Police Department. Logan Police Department’s additional reported added that the man was knocked to the ground and appears to have suffered head trauma. He was taken to Logan Regional Hospital in an ambulance and was later flown to McKay Dee Hospital in Ogden. His identity is withheld as police has not yet notified his family. Citations are still pending as the accident is being investigated by authorities. Christensen & Hymas reminds motorists to be extra careful near intersections and cross walks .Do not forget to watch out for pedestrians. Avoid distracted driving and slow down as you approach intersections to avoid accidents. Pedestrians might suddenly appear and you will caught by surprise. They are no match for cars and injuries can be extensive and life threatening. Traumatic brain injury often results when someone is knocked forcefully and the head suffers some trauma. Christensen & Hymas believes that anyone who has suffered injuries because of someone’s recklessness and negligence deserves to be compensated to get relief from the medical expense and rehabilitation costs. It is not easy to recover from injuries because of the financial aspects of the treatment and therapy. If you have questions about compensation claims...
81-year-old Man Burned In Backyard Fire

81-year-old Man Burned In Backyard Fire

An 81-year-old man was burned over 90% of his body while burning weeds in his backyard with a hand-held propane torch, according to KSL. Ray Jessop’s was trying to put out the weed fire, which had started burning some grass, when his pants caught fire. His neighbor found Ray sitting on the porch with most of his clothes burned off. He was taken by helicopter to University of Utah’s Burn Center where he was treated for third degree burns over 90 percent of his body. Fires can quickly get out of control, and cause a lot of damage. The National Fire Protection Agency (NFPA) reports that in 2011, a fire department responded to a fire every 23 seconds, 3,005 deaths and thousands of injuries occurred because of these fires, and damages were in the 11 billions in cost. The most common types of fires, as reported in 2011 by the NFPA, are structure fires, followed by wildland, and then highway vehicles. Most fires are preventable, and with death numbers in the three thousands each year, it is important to take precautions in regards to fire. In Utah, open burning almost always requires a permit to do so. If a person is starting a fire anywhere besides campfires, grills, or fireplaces, a burn permit is required. The Utah government details the rules regarding open burning with a permit. The consequences of not abiding by these laws are great, and can result in serious injury or death. Christensen & Hymas is knowledgeable about personal injuries involving fires. If you are a burn victim due to someone’s negligence, we can help you...
Carbon Monoxide Accident

Carbon Monoxide Accident

Last week Dillon and Christy Dwyer were vacationing at their cabin in Acord Lakes when in the middle of the night Christy awoke to something strange.  She said that she woke up incredibly thirsty, weak, and nauseous. After some time of tending to her Dillon too began to fall ill. The sick couple decided to leave the house for some fresh air, this most likely saved their lives. A few feet from the home Christy collapsed. Dillon recounted not having strength enough to help her. His muscles had frozen up and he too blacked out.  They don’t know how long they were out, but after they came to they got in their car and were able to drive to the next cabin only reaching as far as the driveway before blacking out again. At the hospital it was discovered that the two had an almost lethal saturation of carbon monoxide gas in their blood streams. Exposure to 100 parts per million of the gas or more are dangerous and lead to a loss of judgement and movement after about two hours. The Center for Disease Control states that “unintentional CO exposure accounts for an estimated 15,000 emergency department visits and 500 unintentional deaths in the United States each year”. This particular poisoning has been attributed to a propane refrigerator that was leaking and had not been inspected in the proper amount of time. We at Christensen & Hymas are grateful that the couple is unharmed and that they will have no lasting effects from the accident. In cases where poisonings do not lead to death, the lack of oxygen...

Mary Burgener Recovered from Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

Wednesday of last week, a family was rushed to the hospital because of carbon monoxide poisoning. Mary Burgener was in her home with her 12-year-old son and 11-year-old daughter. Mary’s brother, Adrian was downstairs next to the furnace–the source of the leak. When Burgener woke up and smelled some kind of gas, she knew something was amiss. She found her brother downstairs, lying unconscious. Mary and her two children just had their last treatments in hyperbaric chambers to clean out the carbon monoxide in their system, and the three of them are doing well. Adrian is still unconscious. The family had a carbon monoxide detector, but it had not been checked in a while, and had stopped working. Carbon Monoxide is colorless, odorless and tasteless, but deadly. You have to be vigilant about watching out for it. Make sure your carbon monoxide detector has been checked, at least in the last year. It is designed to go off when abnormal levels of CO are in the air. They should be as crucial to a home or office as a smoke alarm. Be aware that CO emittance can come from furnaces, and carbon-based materials and fuels, car exhausts, and even refrigerators. Every home or office is in danger of carbon monoxide pollution to some extent. You can have CO poisoning without realizing it. If you feel flu-like symptoms that may come and go, or are exacerbated in certain places or at particular times of the day, you should get yourself checked out. Even animals can be effected by the gas. Protect yourself by prevention, and then quick action. From all...

Woman in Critical Condition after Car Crash

Last Sunday in Salt Lake City, a woman was severely hurt after a truck ran into the vehicle.   The man driving the Ford truck suffered an unspecified medical episode. Speculations given by Lt. Scoot White with the Salt Lake City Police Department say perhaps he had a seizure, or passed out behind the wheel. The man was traveling west on North Temple in the late morning, around 10:40. He slammed into the rear of a blue sedan waiting at the traffic light. The small car was pushed into the intersection, while the rear was crushed. The truck continued and struck another sedan, a red vehicle eastbound, before coming to a stop against the road’s side rail. A female driver of one of the cars had a severe head injury, and needed CPR at the scene of the crash. There was a male passenger who was also injured, but the female is still in critical condition. The driver of the truck was not seriously injured. Police are still investigating to determine  exactly what happened, whether or not drugs or alcohol were involved. The truck driver willingly stayed at the scene with police. If you have a medical condition that might hinder driving ability, it can be very serious, and lead to serious injury or legal problems.  If you have tendencies toward epilepsy, fainting, anxiety or panic attacks, narcolepsy, or any sort of vision problem that comes and goes, be aware and proactive, and talk to your doctor about whether or not it is safe for you to drive.   Image courtesy of ksl news...
Author Stephen Covey Involved in Bicycle Accident

Author Stephen Covey Involved in Bicycle Accident

Prominent author and motivational speaker Stephen Covey was injured in a bicycling accident last week in Provo, Utah. Covey was riding through the steep foothills of this university town south of Salt Lake City when he took a corner too fast and fell off his bike, striking his head and going unconsciousness. Covey was sent to the hospital, where he has since responded to family members. There is some bleeding on the frontal lobe of his brain, which is being monitored and will determine the extent and severity of his injuries.  No other persons or vehicles were involved in the incident. The Christensen Law Firm wishes a speedy and full recovery to Mr. Covey, who has had a positive influence in Utah for generations, and we hope for many more years to come. An Ounce of Prevention…. Covey’s publicist is quoted as saying “He was wearing a helmet, which is good news.” Not only is this “good news”, but wearing a helmet quite possibly saved his life. While not mandatory for cyclists in Utah, wearing a helmet often makes the difference between a goose egg on the head, as in Covey’s case, and permanent brain injury or worse. Brain injuries in Utah occur too often, many of which are preventable. As personal injury lawyers in Utah, we encourage you strongly to take your safety into your own hands and, like Stephen Covey, wear a helmet. If you or a loved one have been involved in a similar accident as the one above, and despite your precautions still find yourself injured, call us today at (801) 506-0800 to speak with...