An 81-year-old man was burned over 90% of his body while burning weeds in his backyard with a hand-held propane torch, according to KSL. Ray Jessop’s was trying to put out the weed fire, which had started burning some grass, when his pants caught fire. His neighbor found Ray sitting on the porch with most of his clothes burned off. He was taken by helicopter to University of Utah’s Burn Center where he was treated for third degree burns over 90 percent of his body.
Fires can quickly get out of control, and cause a lot of damage. The National Fire Protection Agency (NFPA) reports that in 2011, a fire department responded to a fire every 23 seconds, 3,005 deaths and thousands of injuries occurred because of these fires, and damages were in the 11 billions in cost.
The most common types of fires, as reported in 2011 by the NFPA, are structure fires, followed by wildland, and then highway vehicles. Most fires are preventable, and with death numbers in the three thousands each year, it is important to take precautions in regards to fire.
In Utah, open burning almost always requires a permit to do so. If a person is starting a fire anywhere besides campfires, grills, or fireplaces, a burn permit is required. The Utah government details the rules regarding open burning with a permit. The consequences of not abiding by these laws are great, and can result in serious injury or death.
Christensen & Hymas is knowledgeable about personal injuries involving fires. If you are a burn victim due to someone’s negligence, we can help you find the compensation you deserve. Please call us at (801) 506-0800.
Photo courtesy of USFWS/Southwest.