In Vernal, Utah, January 15th, a propane distribution plant caught on fire, causing more than $250,000 worth of damage. The fire may have been ignited by an electrical space-heating device. However, the cause has not officially been determined.

An evacuation was issued of the company site, and a half-mile radius around the business. Luckily the fir was contained, and did not spread to large propane tanks on the property outside of the shop building.

Fires are a serious danger. More than 3,500 Americans die in fires each year. An overwhelming amount of fires occur in residential homes. Here are some simple guidelines to help keep your home safe from fires:

  • Have at least one working smoke alarm: Any hardware or discount store will have them. Replace the battery at least once a year. This is an inexpensive way to keep you and your family safe
  • Alternate Heaters: Anything combustible should be kept at least 3 feet away form any portable heater, they heat up the surrounding areas! Also make sure that your fireplace chimney is clean annually, buildup can cause fires!
  • Prevent Electrical Fires: Never overload circuits or extension cords. Any appliances that sputter, spark or emit an unusual smell, shut off immediately!
  • Plan your Escape:¬†Practice an escape route from every room in the house. Make sure every family member knows to stay close to the ground, and not to open any doors that are hot. Select a location to meet after escaping the house.

From all of us at Christensen & Hymas, keep yourself safe this winter by taking fire safety precautions for your family.