coA fire official in Ogden says three people were hospitalized for treatment of carbon monoxide poisoning after a leak blamed on a faulty water heater.  Firefighters went to an apartment building March 2 after a man arrived at Ogden McKay-Dee Hospital with symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning. It was possible that a faulty water heater leaked the toxic gas into furnace ducts that carried it into the apartments.

Carbon monoxide is a leading cause of poisoning fatalities in the country. Each year, there are more than 2,100 Americans who die accidentally from carbon monoxide, according to the Journal of the American Medical Association. Carbon monoxide, an odorless and colorless gas, is so powerful it can cause brain damage or sudden death to those who inhale it. This gas is present in different forms such as in combustion fumes, lamps, gas ranges and heaters. Usual symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning include headache, faintness, unsettled stomach, and chest pain.


Photo & Original Article