Statistics show that in 2010, there were a total of 4,604 boating accidents resulting in 672 fatalities and another 3,153 injuries. Our boat accident lawyers in Michigan represent victims in these types of accidents, and are ready, willing and able to help you. Boating accidents resulted in $35.5 million dollars of property damage. Michigan made up 132 of the boat accidents, 27 deaths, 90 injuries, and over $457,000 of property damage.
Since the main cause for death in a boat accident is drowning, this could substantially be reduced by wearing a life preserver. According to the Department of Natural Resources, 90 percent of the people who drown in boating accidents could have been saved if they had worn a life preserver.
What to Do When a Boating Accident Happens
As the boating season starts up for the summer, take some extra time to consider the following tips on what to when a boating accident happens.
- Determine if anyone has been thrown overboard. Throw them a life preserver, life jacket, or other personal flotation device. Most people are not strong enough swimmers to save a drowning person by jumping in the water to get them. Even throwing a rope or anything else the person can grab onto is better.
- Determine if anyone needs first aid or medical attention.
- Render any aid to any other vessel involved if you are able.
- Call the Coast Guard or other law enforcement agency to report the accident.
- Once everyone is safely onboard and any medical attention has been provided, exchange information with the other vessel. Ask for and provide name, address, and telephone number of each person on board and any other witnesses; name and registration number of the boat; insurance company; and the insurance policy number.
- Take photographs of any damage to the boat and any visible injuries to a person.
- File a boating accident report with the Coast Guard and any appropriate state or local agency.
- Contact an experienced Michigan boating accident lawyer for help in filing insurance claims and to determine if you have a legal claim against the other boater.
Contact A Boat Accident Lawyer
The Michigan boat accident injury lawyer you hire for your case must have complete and full understanding of the boating safety rules and safety practices to achieve the best results for the injured client. Our attorneys at Buckfire & Buckfire P.C. have this knowledge and achieve extraordinary results for our clients who suffer serious injuries in boat accident. Call our office now at (800) 606-1717 to discuss your case and speak with an attorney. We will start working on your case immediately gathering all the evidence and witness statements to win and settle your case.