New Year’s Eve is a time of annual celebration and New Year’s resolutions, but this past holiday was a special one specifically because of the increased awareness of potential drunk drivers. The Salt Lake Tribune reports that the Utah Highway Patrol instilled a so-called ‘blitz’. A blitz is fundamentally when more than 50 troopers are involved in a mission. This particular mission had the support of Mothers Against Drunk Driving (MADD) and officiated a 12-hour period of an increased number of troopers on the highways. The result was a victorious effort which prevented numerous Utah drunk driving accidents and consequently made New Year’s Eve a great memory for many rather than a night of anguish. The highway patrol ultimately arrested 72 individuals who were suspected to be under the influence of alcohol, including a 19 year-old female who backed into trooper’s vehicle with a blood alcohol level of twice the legal limit.
Drunk Driving Accidents and Accident Books
Drunk driving could possibly lead to fatal consequences, which can be very much prevented. Even though New Year’s Eve in the Salt Lake Valley was deemed safer through the great efforts from highway patrolmen, this is not the case every night. Included is a list of statistics about drunk driving provided by MADD, which we all should ponder:
- An average drunk driver has driven drunk 80 times before first arrest.
- MADD serves a victim or survivor of drunk driving every nine minutes.
– This year, 10,839 people will die in drunk-driving crashes – one every 50 minutes.
- One in three people will be involved in an alcohol-related crash in their lifetime.
- Every minute, one person is injured from an alcohol-related crash.
- 50 to 75% of convicted drunk drivers continue to drive on a suspended license.
- Drunk driving costs each adult in this country almost $500 per year.
- Since 1980 MADD has nearly saved 300,000 lives …and counting.
If you or a loved one should unfortunately become a victim of a drunk driver, there is assistance available for you. The Christensen Law Firm compassionately represents each client with a personal touch. We offer free accident books which will aid you in fully understanding the rights of all parties involved with the incident. For a free accident book call 1-800 LAW BOOK.