Paramedics Save Choking Baby’s Life

A reported choking incident involving a 6 month old baby underscores the importance of a cool head under extreme pressure for responding paramedics. It also reminds parents of the need to keep the house free of choking hazards. According to medical experts, any object that will fit in the opening of an empty toilet paper roll is considered a choking hazard. The Deseret News states that the incident happened Saturday in the Rose Park neighborhood. The mother, who later told firemen her 6-month-old son had recently gotten into the habit of grabbing objects and putting them in his mouth, said that she turned her back on the boy for just a minute and he had already put something in his mouth. She soon realized that something was wrong and called 911. The report adds that paramedics from Salt Lake City Fire Station No. 7 were the first to respond . It was disclosed that the boy had swallowed a small figurine, about half the size of an adult finger, and it became lodged in his throat. Salt Lake City Fire Department spokesman Jasen Asay stated that when paramedics arrived, blood was coming from the boy’s mouth, and his airway was almost completely obstructed. They tried turning the boy upside down and slapping him on his back, but this did not dislodge the object. The child was barely breathing when paramedics were able to quickly but gently remove the toy using forceps as the ambulance sped towards the hospital. Christensen & Hymas are safety advocates in all respects and encourage the parents of young children to exercise caution around the house. If your...

School Buses with Outside Cameras for Kids’ Safety

Alpine School District is said to be testing a new surveillance system to catch drivers who bypass school bus stop signs. Shaun Adams, of Alpine School District’s Transportation Department, stated that the department observed more and more vehicles not paying attention to traffic laws. A Fox13 article reported that bus drivers see dozens of people ignoring stop signs every day, putting kids in danger. “[Even] when the stop sign is out and the red lights are flashing,” Adams said, “we have a lot of vehicles drive right through.” Bus drivers believe distracted driving is to blame. Adams told Fox13 that people are distracted by putting on makeup, drinking or spilling coffee, and using communication devices such as cell phones and GPS. The district hopes that the new camera system mounted on the outside of the bus will deter drivers from passing the school bus when its lights are flashing. The article states that all video of violations will be turned over to the police. According to Doug Frasier, who is with Gatekeeper Systems, the company that designed the camera system, this move is about the safety of the children and driver behavior modification. He added that the video will provide evidence, violators will get fined, and that people will become more aware— prompting a change in driving behavior. Because of the system’s steep price tag of $4,000 per unit, officials expect to install cameras on only a handful of buses throughout the district. If you have been injured due to reckless driving or the negligence of another person, you may be entitled to reparation. Call Christensen & Hymas at (801)-506-0800 for...

Six Children Injured in School Bus Accident

A school bus was reported to be involved in an accident that injured six children. According to Utah Highway Patrol troopers the school bus collided with a tree in Paradise Monday afternoon. This accident happened around 3:47 on State Route 165, near mile post 1. The accident was attributed to distracted driving. According to the report, UHP issued a statement that says that the bus driver was distracted by a child, causing her to take her eyes off the road. As a result, the bus then went off the road to the right, striking an arrow sign before crashing into two trees at the bottom of a slight embankment. Trooper Cade Brenchley, Utah Highway Patrol, stated that the bus driver claimed she was distracted by a child standing up in the back,  whom she watched in the rear-view mirror. The report added that the injured children were transported to a local hospital. Brenchey stated that it is sad that the accident happened but it could have been worse. Christensen & Hymas is thankful that the accident did not have fatal consequences. Indeed, many motorists have proven that a few seconds of taking ones eyes off the road are enough for someone to be in an accident. Roads are treacherous, especially during winter.  Losing control or over-correction during these situations can make a driver cause the vehicle to roll or to fall off the road. Christensen & Hymas advocates child safety. We hope to help more children travel the road safety. We make many articles available on our website to help parents keep their children safe. In the event that...

Juan Castillo Argumedo Recovering from Pit Bull Attack

A 6-year-old boy identified as Juan Castillo Argumedo was reported to be recovering from the injuries sustained during a pit bull attack November 17. He has undergone three surgeries to repair the damage to his face and leg. The boy was also bitten in the chest and belly. The report stated that the boy and his friend were walking through a neighboring yard when he was bit by the pit bull on the leg. The pit bull was also attacking the boy in the face while his friend pulled at the dog’s collar to get it off Argumedo. His grandfather arrived and hit the dog ending it’s attack. It was also disclosed that stitches were removed from his face and he did not suffer any infection. His doctors considered it a miracle that the boy stayed healthy and was able to bounce back. After the surgeries, the boy has to stay at home to fully recover. It was also reported that his mother has to stop working to be able to take care of Juan full time. His teachers from Dixie Sun Elementary in St. George, Utah often drop by his house to teach him so that he will not be totally left behind by his classmates. His father Silvano Castillo is thankful that his boy is recovering well and is in a cheerful mood despite the trauma he has been through. He recalled seeing his wife’s face turning white upon seeing the damage on their son’s leg. He is also thankful that friends and neighbors are helping them cope with the incident. Donations poured out to help with...

Woman Responsible for the Toddler Hit and Run Case Finally Arrested

The article reported that a woman allegedly involved in a hit-and –run accident that killed 2-year-old Gavyn Barnett June 20, 2013, was finally arrested by police authorities. Gavyn was hit while inside his stroller that was being pushed by his mother Angela Barnett and 9-year-old sister Serrena while they were crossing a crosswalk earlier this year. The suspect identified as Kimberly Munoz was reported by her ex-boyfriend to the West Valley City Police as the person responsible for the accident. He contacted West Valley City Police claiming he had information regarding the driver responsible for the said hit-and-run. The report added that Munoz admitted to being the driver of the car that struck the stroller the night of the auto-pedestrian accident. The information she told police were found to match the details obtained in the investigation conducted by authorities after the accident. Munoz was booked into the Salt Lake County Jail on a hit-and-run, a third-degree felony, and improper lookout–a class C misdemeanor–according to the press release. Christensen & Hymas is glad that the driver of the hit-and–run accident that killed young Gavyn was finally identified. Hit-and-run is a callous act that hurts surviving family because the person responsible is sometimes never brought to justice. It is best to admit the mistake and face the consequences rather than flee the scene of the accident. We express our gratitude to the man who came forward about his ex-girlfriend and informed police that eventually brought resolution to the case. Without the information he had provided, the case may have never been solved. Christensen & Hymas helps victims of hit-and-run accidents. Competent...

Gas Leak Sends 25 People to Hospital

An elementary school identified by report as Montezuma Creek Elementary School, was evacuated because of a carbon monoxide leak Monday. San Juan County Sheriff’s Office issued a press release that said dispatchers were informed through a 911 call stating that students were dizzy and sick. An estimated 280 students were in attendance that day, as reported by San Juan District School officials. Emergency personnel from Montezuma Creek, Bluff, Monticello, Blanding and Navajo Nation arrived at the school where 30 students and teachers were given priority for medical treatment. It was reported that two patients, one student and one adult, were taken by helicopter to an area hospital. The report disclosed that twenty-three other patients, a mix of students and adults, were also taken to area hospitals. Other students who were evacuated were released to their parents and legal guardians after medical personnel were able to confirm their safety. The leak was traced by school maintenance workers to a water heater and exhaust system inside the school.  The report added that the classes at Montezuma Creek Elementary School were expected to resume Tuesday. Christensen & Hymas hopes for the quick recovery for those who are in the hospital after this incident. We are grateful for the quick action of school authorities and response of emergency teams that enabled affected people to be given immediate medical attention. Carbon monoxide is a dangerous gas because it has no color and odor. People who inhaled carbon monoxide exhibit symptoms such as headache, dizziness, and weakness. Inhaling carbon monoxide can cause sudden illness and even death. A carbon monoxide detector is ideal to immediately...